Wednesday, December 14, 2011

When Lady Gaga Meat Kumagai

This morning, I read AM New York.  As usual.  After a quick review of the bloody news, what do I see on page 14?

Lady Gaga and her raw meat dress and shoes.  I am sure you remember this horror she wore for the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards.

In case you don't, here is a reminder.



Let me tell you that the mere thought of the perfume of fresh meat at 7.30 a.m. makes me want to throw up.  

This said, what a coincidence?

The night before I was reading a book (very nice by the way) about vintage shoes* when I made a major discovery: the meat shoe is no novelty and the Gaga did not invent the wheel!

My reddish sleepy eyes cannot believe it; the first meat shoes date back to 1984, when a Japanese fashion designer, named Tokio Kumagai, created a collection called "Shoes to eat", inspired by the artificial food that restaurants in Japan display in their windows. 



Not that I would dream to walk on high heel steaks, but still I am fascinated by the fact that at some point someone even thought about it!  This is the genius of the creative process.

At first disturbed by this image, I ended up wondering what's the difference between walking on beef's meat pumps and walking on the beef's skin shoes and wearing beef's skin bags?  It is almost the same, isn't it?

I have profound late night digressions sometimes...

Anyway, I don't think that the plastic food inspired such deep thoughts to Kumagai.

Animal lovers from all over the world, be reassured.  Contrary to Lady Gaga, Kumagai did not seem to enjoy meat enough (or maybe his nostrils and stomach were too sensitive to endure the smell) to have his creations done with real raw meat. Actually, they were created with acrylic or resin.  So I say bravo

I am not sure I could wear meat shoes, but ice cream sundaes... that's another story!


Alda Mori


*"Vintage Shoes" by Caroline Cox, Collins Design (page 186)

No comments:

Post a Comment